Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Changes for now

The last week has brought a new change and its one that I am happy with for now.  Actually I felt a real burden lifted when I made my decision but unfortunately it hasn't made everyone happy.  I decided to drop out of my graduate practicum class for now so finishing my Masters degree is on hold at this time.  I made the decision based on several reasons and I felt God's hand in the details.  Some of my chronic health conditions have flared up these past few weeks and I have been dragging myself from here to there and just getting by.  Many days I just felt like crying and sometimes I just did.  God has been my refuge and my strength through all of this.  

Issues popped up concerning the practicum and honestly I could have gone forward, done all the work and then not have been able to get enough hours so my time would have been wasted.  There was no guarantee that I could complete it and the college I'm working through was not, to say the least, at all willing to bend even the slightest - the exact details of which would just bore you, so I'll leave them out.

I have been working on my degree since 2000 and at that time, jobs were possible and I was  healthy.  That has changed.  There are very few  jobs in my field here right now and the ones that do open up are taken by younger people.  So even if I get my Masters degree I may not get a job because of it.  Frankly, it may hinder that process because I would start at a higher pay.  The things that I have left to do to finish may not even be possible at this time and they are closing my program in this area in the spring of 2011.  I have enough credits for a degree but still need the practicums. 

So, I am resting, relaxing, getting stuff done around here that hasn't been able to be accomplished in quite some time.  Visiting my sister is high on my list right now.  It has been years since I've been able to do the things that I want to do so I'm taking some time. Both kids are off at college and doing well.  Scott was put in temporary housing and just getting settled in and then they told him he was moving yesterday and he was not happy.  His toe is infected and he's had to go to the hospital ER by himself - he lives to tell the story.  These are growing situations for him, but he is okay.  Melissa is doing well but her courses are giving her pause this semester - she is very busy but happy. 

We are somewhat adjusting to the empty nest.  Glen has been very busy with the other house but I don't feel quite so stressed since the decision to stop going to school for the semester.  There is still a lot to do there - and here - (isn't that always how it is?) but we are making it step-by-step.  I am going to start on a new medicine for my fibromyalgia next week so hopefully that will be a plus too.

Have a great week!

No comments: